Calendar - 2019
The Kenilworth Chess Club meets every Thursday night, starting by 8:00 p.m., in the Recreation Center at 575 Kenilworth Boulevard, which has been our home for 46 years!!
All chessplayers are welcome to attend, even if they are not going to participate in the evening's main event. We usually have a skittles and discussion room available when there is a tournament, match or lecture in the main hall.
Highlights of the year include the Club Championship tournament, which this year will begin April 4th, the Summer Tournament, which will run June 6-August 29th, and our Holiday Party in late December.
You can find past calendars online for 2005,
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug |
Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec
January 3 - Casual chess.
January 10 - Lecture by Life Master Scott Massey on the Carlsen-Caruana World Championship match. Admission: $5.
January 17 - Casual chess.
January 24 - USATE Warm-up Tournament: Round 1 of 3.
Here are the rules of the tournament:
- 3-round Swiss.
- Begins January 24th & runs through February 7th. (1 game per week)
- Rounds: 8:00 p.m. on January 24, 31 + February 7.
- Time Control: G/40 with 5 second delay.
- Entry Fee: $5.
- Prize Fund: 100% of EF returned.
- Prizes: 60% to 1st, 30% to 2nd, 10% to 3rd.
- Register with David Lazarus prior to the 1/24 meeting @ Kenilworth Community Center, 575 Boulevard, Kenilworth, N.J. 07033
- Byes: 1 half-point bye per player allowed. Email Dave at email@example.com to request.
January 31 - USATE Warm-up Tournament: Round 2 of 3.
February 7 - USATE Warm-up Tournament: Round 3 of 3.
February 14 - Casual Chess.
February 16-18 - 47th annual U.S. AMATEUR TEAM EAST at the Parsippany Hilton, 1 Hilton
Kenilworth Chess Club teams have done very well in this event!
Kenilworth A (FM Steve Stoyko, LM Ed Allen, LM Scott Massey, Michael Goeller and Bob Rose) won the Best NJ Team award.
the A team played at Board #1 in round 5 but lost a close match to the eventual tournament winner Beavis and Butt-Vinnik.
they went 5-1, losing only to the notorious "GGGg" that had 3 GMs and was ineligible for the USAT playoffs.
the team entered round six at 5-0 but lost to Cambridge Springers.
In 2013, Knightmare 3, featuring Stoyko, Massey, NM Praveen Balakrishnan and Dr. Ian Mangion, came within 1 move of winning it all, lost to Princeton University A and had to settle for Best NJ team award. The Kenilworth CC Niners (LM Mark Kernighan, John Moldovan, Greg Tomkovich and Dr. Geoff McAuliffe) tied for 1st among U1900 teams.
In 2014, The Kenilworth CC Niners (Kernighan, Moldovan, Tomkovich, McAuliffe and Dan Komunicky) again tied for 1st among U1900 teams.
Maybe 2019 will be the victory year. Stop by to visit if you are not playing. It is a great event.
February 21 - USATE Post-Mortem Session. Bring your games for review.
February 28 - To be announced.
March 7 - Tom Polese Memorial Swiss: Round 1. USCF-rated. Other details TBA.
March 14 - Tom Polese Memorial Swiss: Round 2.
March 21 - Tom Polese Memorial Swiss: Round 3.
March 28 - Tom Polese Memorial Swiss (tentative).
April 4 - 28th Annual Kenilworth Chess Club Championship: Round 1 of 5.
Here are the rules of the tournament (Tentative, as of 12/30/2018.):
- NON-RATED, 5-round Swiss
- Begins April 4th & runs through May 1st. (1 game per week)
- G/75 with 5 second delay time control.
- Rounds: At 8:30 p.m. on April 4, 11, 18 & 25 + May 1.
- Cost: $10 entry fee + dues + $5 anti-forfeit deposit = $30 for most players.
- KCC membership is required. Dues for 2019 are $10 for age 17 or less, $10 for those age 65+, $15 for everyone else.
- Prizes: Trophies to 1st & others TBA. Best Game &/or Biggest Upset trophies will be awarded, if warranted.
- Register with Treasurer/TD Geoff McAuliffe during our 4/4 meeting or before @ Kenilworth Community Center, 575 Boulevard, Kenilworth, N.J. 07033
- Byes, late-joins & postponements allowed at the TD's & Club President's discretion. For example: The late-joiner would make an even number of players.
- The Tournament Committee reserves the right to make changes as are deemed necessary for the good maintenance of the tournament.
LM Mark Kernighan won the tournament last year, also in 2008, 2015 & 2017. Other past Champions include LM Scott Massey (who has won the title 12x!!), Rene Ray (1996), FM Steve Stoyko (2005, 2006, 2007), IM Yaacov Norowitz (2009), LM Arthur Macaspac (2010, 2012), NM Ken Chieu (2011), IM Praveen Balakrishnan (2013, 2014) and John Moldovan (2016).
Round by round coverage of the tournament will be posted on the Chess Coroner Blog.
For stories of past championships, see the 2005 Club Championship website, 2006 Championship website, the Chess Coroner Blog and the KCC Tournaments Blog.
April 11 - Club Championship: Round 2
April 18 - Club Championship: Round 3
April 25 - Club Championship: Round 4
May 1 - Club Championship: Round 5
May 8 - To be announced.
May 15 - To be announced.
May 22 - To be announced.
May 29 - To be announced.
June 6 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, Week 1 of 13.
Here are the rules of the tournament (tentative):
- The tournament will run from June 6 through August 29.
- The event is NON-RATED.
- Entry Fee is $5 for club members, $6 for non-members. $5 of each EF goes into the prize fund.
- The time control is G/60.
- G/55+5 (delay) may be used if there is mutual agreement between paired players. Increment settings are not allowed.
- You may play anyone who is entered. The first time you play an opponent, the lower rated or unrated player has White. In subsequent games against the same opponent you alternate colors. If both players are unrated or have identical ratings, they toss for initial color.
- You may not play the same opponent more than four times in the tournament.
- Games may begin at 8:00 p.m. in weeks 1-2 (June 6-13), 7:15 p.m. in weeks 3-13 (June 20-August 29). No game may start later than 9:30 p.m.
- You may play up to 2 games per week. You may play those games simultaneously. You can skip weeks but the more you play the more points you can accumulate.
- You get one point for a win, a half-point for a draw and zero for a loss. No bye points are awarded.
- The winner is the person who has the most points at the end of the tournament.
- Prizes: 1st place: 40%. 2nd place: 20%. 3rd place: 10%. U1600: 10%, Under Age 18: 10%, Under Age 13: 10%.
- Registration will remain open for the duration of the tournament. However, if there is an overwhelming turnout, the TD may cut-off entries as early as July 4th.
- Bring clocks. The club has a limited number for use.
LM Mark Kernighan won last year, in 2005 & in 2011. Other past winners of this popular event include LM Scott Massey (2004), Greg Tomkovich (2006), Ari Minkov (2007, 2010), Ian Mangion (2009), Bob Sherry (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015) and John Moldovan (2008, 2016, 2017).
June 13 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, Week 2 of 13.
The club will, pending Recreation Department approval, open at 7:15 p.m. from 6/20 through 8/29.
June 20 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, Week 3 of 13.
June 27 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, Week 4 of 13.
July 4 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, Week 5 of 13.
July 11 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, Week 6 of 13.
July 18 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, Week 7 of 13.
July 25 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, Week 8 of 13.
August 1 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, Week 9 of 13.
August 8 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, Week 10 of 13.
August 15 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, Week 11 of 13.
August 22 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, Week 12 of 13.
August 29 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, Week 13 of 13.
September 5 - To be announced. Return to 8:00 p.m. starting time.
September 12 - To be announced.
September 19 - To be announced.
September 26 - To be announced.
October 4 - To be announced.
October 11 - To be announced.
October 18 - To be announced.
October 25 - To be announced.
November 1 - To be announced.
November 8 - To be announced.
November 15 - To be announced.
November 22 - NO MEETING. Closed for Thanksgiving.
November 29 - To be announced.
December 5 - To be announced.
December 12 - To be announced.
December 19 - To be announced.
December 26 - To be announced.
Updated 01.15.2018 |
Contact The Kenilworth Chess Club